How to book plane, train, bus, boat tickets, etc?
Once you have decided on the dates of your trip, the first stage and where you are arriving, you can book your tickets. Remember to do so with your bank card, most of them have cancellation insurance, which could be useful.
Depending on your trip, you can book only your plane, train or boat tickets... to arrive or leave the country, and buy your other tickets as you travel to adapt your route to your wishes. When organising the different stages, take into account the travelling times and make sure you have enough time for connections.
Take time to check fare compare websites to get the best price possible. Remember that the cookies on your wen browser can explain why from one day to the next the tickets get more expensive...
There are several modes of transport to travel:
- Ferry companies offer lower prices if you book early!If you think you may have to change your dates, get the insurance! You can change your mind and your departure dates.
- If you intend to rent a car to go on a road trip, book it before you leave!You could get a better price and might even be bumped up when you get the keys.
- If you are thinking of a nomadic train trip around Europe check out the Interrail passes. They enable you to travel around Europe by train. The passes also give you rights to a discount on accommodation or guided tours, to lower the overall cost of your trip!
- Why not go for a bike tour of Europe? You will save on transport and can leave on your bike from your home.
No matter which accomodation you choose, check that your arrival time is compatible with their opening times. Or that there is someone there to welcome you if you arrive very late or very early.
- Do you have no alternative than the plane? If you want, you can compensate the carbon!