HOW TO WASH A WATERPROOF JACKET?
You only need to wash a waterproof jacket fairly infrequently because, unless you roll around in the mud during a downpour, a jacket doesn’t get very dirty at all!
But let's say you've slipped and fallen into a pond, and you need to wash your jacket (and get yourself some boots with better grip):
Do you just want to clean up the outside?
- Wait until the mud is dry.
- Shake the jacket outside to get as much dried soil off as possible.
- If there are any traces left, use a sponge and clean without rubbing so as not to remove the water-repellent treatment.
Do you think your jacket smells a bit and want to put it in the washing machine?
- Before putting the jacket in the machine, close all the zips and pockets.
- Follow the information on the jacket label carefully to select the correct temperature.Some washing machines even have a special “outdoor” programme, which is very useful in this case.
- Use a little less detergent (liquid, if possible) than usual to avoid residue.
- Set the spin to minimum so as not to damage the jacket.
- To make sure all the detergent is gone, rinse a second time.
How to dry a waterproof jacket?
There are two options:
- Let the jacket air dry, on a hanger or flat.
- Use a tumble dryer on a very gentle programme, remembering to close all the zips.